S/O/L/E Food Tuesday, Non-Wimpy Pasta
This recipe for tomato-nut pesto is one of the all time winners for ease and taste. It can beat Rachel Ray for speedy dinner and yet has great depth of flavor. The sweetness of tomato paste is balanced by the bite of fresh garlic and the crunchy toasted slivered almonds make it sing.
Most of the ingredients you probably have on hand, it can be served at room temp, but like love, it’s best served fresh and hot!
Here’s the recipe: Tomato-Almond Pesto.
If you’re a freak for nuts here’s another one you will love:
Nutty Spinach Pesto
- .5 C walnuts
- .5 C pecans
- 10 oz fresh spinach washed
- 3/4 C olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tsp fresh, coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- .5 C slivered almonds
- Process walnuts and pecans about 5 seconds till coarsely chopped. Transfer to mixing/serving bowl.
- Process spinach, oil, garlic with s&p. Add to bowl.
- Add slivered almonds and toss altogether with hot macaroni (about 1-1.5 lbs)
Despite the fact that we’re exporting the worst of our dietary habits to the mediterranean, their diet – their traditional diet – still rules in terms of health. Even our first submission was from Italy.
Here’s a little pizza to pique your interest… this particular pie had some pepperoni on it but you could enjoy it meat-free. The crust is very easy, delicious, and of course, sourdough. See last week’s entry for recipe.